NEXTGENU.ORG IS LOOKING FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT!
NextGenU.org offers free courses with certificates, and curricula across the health sciences, making these materials available for free to learners, teachers, and institutions. NextGenU.org also partners with learning institutions to build capacity and strengthen degree programs, including offering the world’s first free full curriculum for a Master’s Degree in Public Health; medical, nursing, and community health worker education; and specialized training in Addiction Medicine. Its most recent project is to deliver STEM curriculum to grades 1 – 5 in Benin, Cameroon, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The Research Assistant supports the team with grant and manuscript writing and editing, and other communications (70%), as well as general research support (30%).
The Research Assistant is responsible for the following, in the context of a global team that primarily researches the effects of the world’s first provider of free, accredited, higher education, as well as performing other work in mass media, sustainability, and other determinants of health:
- Coordinate the production of manuscripts, reports, institutional review board documents, research grant applications, abstracts for presentation at conferences and other documents that comply with the research agenda. This includes writing, editing and proofreading project documents.
- Coordinate the submission of grant applications and liaise with different stakeholders to ensure the application process is clear and that team members are made aware of due dates.
- Conduct literature searches to research online learning; this includes identifying and collecting relevant documents.
- Perform(s) basic data analysis
- Assist research students and other trainees working with their manuscripts and basic data analysis
- Coordinate research team meetings and other research activities including the arranging of conference and travel arrangements for the team.
- Coordinate financial responsibilities of the PI, including but not limited to the coordination of grant money, payroll of contractors and other staff
- Conduct other general research duties as required
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Failure to maintain consistent and reliable communication between project team members may result in delay or quality of research activity, which in turn might impact international health, work quality, and funding.
Works highly independently under the general supervision of the Research Lab Director. Incumbent takes initiative and exercises sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility. Initiates and follows up from brief instructions.
May be required to supervise work-study students.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
Excellent communication skills (speaking, writing) in English.
- Ability to understand and speak French .
- Research experience including grant writing, academic writing, literature searches; knowledge of and experience with public health projects.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Office suite at an intermediate level, including data analysis and display, and ability to use other basic data analytic programs.
- Ability to navigate the Internet for the purposes of research.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to take initiative and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility and to initiate and follow up actions from brief instructions.
- Ability to analyse problems, identify key information and issues, and effectively resolve.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with PI, project managers, staff, volunteers, and other parties as required.
Below is a list with some examples of duties pertaining to the position:
- Drafting and sending emails to our research stakeholders
- Formatting and preparing manuscripts, including abstracts, for submission
- Editing manuscripts and proposals for grammar
- Creating tables, graphics, and PowerPoint presentations
- Conducting media outreach about our research via Twitter and email
- Preparing professional documents (e.g., merit review)
- Searching through email for contacts and other relevant information
- Liaising with research team members to coordinate tasks
- Updating research team calendar and Google Drive
- Researching media strategies
- Performing literature reviews
- Communicating with French-speaking partners in East Africa
Send Curriculum Vitae and cover letter detailing most relevant experience and interests, to: