Seven Continents Center for Research and Policy & Caribbean Dialogue (CARD)
Invites you to a webinar via Zoom entitled
Dismantling Whiteness as a Standard of Beauty: Part 1
From skin lightening to hair processing, to cosmetic surgery and facelifts. Euro-centric beauty standard have had psychological and physical consequences for people of color, in some instances, resulting in disfigurement and death, all in the name of aspiring to a Euro-centric standard of beauty i.e., Whiteness.
June 27, 2021 / 6 PM E.S.T.
Zoom Meeting ID: 859-4349-4687
- Dr. Dia Sekayi: Assoc. Prof. Morgan State University.
Author: Aesthetic Resistance to Commercial Influences: Eurocentric Beauty Standards on Black College Women
- Dr. S. Heijin Lee: Assist. Prof. New York University
Author: “Beauty Between Empires” Plastic Surgery, Global Feminism and the Trouble with Self Esteem
- Dr. Kamille Gentles Peart: Assoc. Prof. Communications and Media Studies – Roger Williams University
Author: Romance with Voluptuousness: Caribbean Women and Thick Bodies in the US
- Rehema Chachage, PhD Candidate: Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna
Author: Todays Standar of African Beauty
- Special Guest: Dr. Tyehimba Salandy, Sociologist WUI – Trinidad & Tobago