THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES
INSTITUTE FOR GENDER AND DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (IGDS)
(Based at the Regional Headquarters, Kingston, Jamaica)
APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE POST OF
The University Director through the Regional Coordinating Office (RCO) provides oversight of the IGDS’ integration into University policy, planning, decision-making, and processes of gender mainstreaming. The Director harmonises regional cooperation and collaboration among IGDS Campus-Based Units through facilitating the Units’ design and delivery of gendered research, teaching and outreach in fulfilment of the mandate of the IGDS. The Director identifies opportunities for stakeholder collaboration with and the provision of gender and development related technical and advisory services to external stakeholders at national, regional and international levels. The UD oversees the IGDS as a Research Hub to market the research capabilities of all IGDS Units, via regional projects. The UD consults with Caribbean governments
and multilateral donors to expand a regional and international gender research agenda.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must display:
- Strong academic background evidenced by a Ph.D. in Gender & Development Studies or a related discipline, a strong research profile and an extensive publication record in the field.
- Academic experience at the Professorial level.
- At least 8 years experience in University Administration, organizational leadership, budget management and forecasting.
- Experience in developing international funding proposals and liaising with internal and external stakeholders in this regard.
- Knowledge of university governance procedures; policy frameworks; familiarity with regional and country-specific legal frameworks pertaining to gender and development.
- Evidence of network and partnership building with regional and international organisations addressing gender justice and related concerns.
- Proven experience in graduate teaching, supervision and research in Gender and Development Studies or related field at the tertiary level.
- Providing University-wide leadership across the five campuses to represent and advocate for the IGDS with relevant University Boards, Committees, and teaching and research entities to promote the full spectrum of issues that relate to the Institute.
- Coordinating and harmonising regional cooperation among IGDS Campus-Based Units in regional strategic planning for the IGDS, in keeping with the main pillars of The UWI Strategic Plan and the mandate of the IGDS.
- Developing and managing regional and international funding proposals/projects; liaising with internal and external stakeholders and partners at national, regional, and international levels.
- Supervising staff in the Regional Coordinating Office.
- Maintaining a relationship with the Global Campus in design and delivery of online curriculum.
- Leading the implementation of The UWI Gender and Sexual Harassment Policies, and related instruments.
- Values a workspace rooted in feminist principles of cooperation, collaboration, and care to lead a cohesive and efficient team, working towards clearly identified strategic goals and approaches in an inter- and multidisciplinary environment.
Detailed applications (two copies) and full curriculum vitae should be sent under confidential cover to the University Registrar, Office of Administration, The University of the West Indies, Regional Headquarters, Hermitage Road, Kingston 7, Jamaica to e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated.
Further details, including the interview process, can be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised on the way to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the University Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by The University. The successful candidate will be expected to assume duties 1st September 2024.
Deadline for applications is December 17, 2023