ABOUT THE POSITION
The CUNY Dominican Studies Institute (DSI) at The City College of New York (CCNY) seeks a full-time program manager or director to oversee the project activities of three major research and engagement initiatives:
- “Collaborative Research: HSI-Hubs: Intersectionality as Inquiry & Praxis: Race, Class, Gender & Ethnicity for Student Success in STEM”, a 5-year long collaborative research project across six different universities and colleges (CCNY, University of New Mexico, New Mexico State University, Central New Mexico Community College, Lehman College, and Hostos Community College), made possible by a generous grant from the National Science Foundation. This project aims at examining institutional data, policies, and structures across various partner sites to assess equity in admissions, enrollment, retention, degrees awarded, and post degree outcomes, and produce policy briefs based on findings, as well as a manuscript documenting the project process.
- The CUNY Cultural/Historical Legacy Initiative (CUNY CHLI), a new program aimed at equipping K-12 students of Dominican/Latino/a/x cultural and historical legacy with a strong foundation about their heritage. This program will foster generations of civically responsible and action-oriented students, as well as promote cultural competence and understanding of the importance of culture and history for teaching and learning among K-12 educators.
- The 2024 CUNY DSI Summer Internship Program, which will provide graduate and undergraduate students with meaningful research experiences in the field of Dominican Studies. Participants work collaboratively and under the guidance of CUNY DSI scholars from the Institute’s Research Unit and Domini-can Library and Archives.
The Programs Manager/Director will oversee the implementation and execution of these three programs, provide administrative and logistical support to the CUNY DSI teams working on each individual project, ensure project tasks are completed on schedule as laid out in the grant proposals., and lead the preparation and execution of the Summer Internship Program. Additionally, the Programs Manager/Director will coordinate all project activities with external partners and/or other stakeholders, including the coordination of smaller meetings, larger events, or convenings as well as CUNY DSI staff travel to/from events, meetings, and external research sites. The full scope of activities will vary according to new grants and projects added to the CUNY DSI roster.
This full-time position reports directly to the Director of the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute and works closely on a day-to-day basis with other CUNY DSI staff, including the Associate Director, the Chief Librarian, the Accounts & Grants Coordinator, and the team’s data scientists for the implementation of these projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish project timelines for the subcomponents of each project and monitor progress towards completion.
- Coordinate and schedule project-related meetings, events, and convenings internally and with external partners and stakeholders.
- Coordinate any necessary travel related to projects for CUNY DSI staff, fellows and interns.
- Support the Director and other project staff in documenting project process for inclusion in HSI-Hubs hand-book.
- Prepare the call for applications to the Summer Internship Program, coordinate the selection process, onboard interns, and supervise their activities throughout the summer.
- Keep a record of all activities and expenses for preparation of reports.
- Draft interim and final reports on grant activities.
- Draft and submit new grant proposals as required.
- Any other duty required for the good functioning and success of the HSI-Hubs, CHLI, Summer Internship Programs, and possibly new projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Attention to detail and capacity to process information and documentation in an organized and methodic way.
- Ability to communicate effectively with CUNY DSI staff, administrative staff, and other individuals, at City College and partner organizations.
- Superb writing skills.
- A collaborative, positive, and empathetic attitude towards others.
- Written and spoken fluency in Spanish, a plus.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Dominican Republic, the Caribbean, Latin America, and/or the Dominican/Latino/a/x people in the US, a plus.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An M.A. or M.S. in the social sciences, STEM, humanities programs, or Latino/a/x and Latin American/Caribbean studies; PhD graduates are welcome to apply; B.A. or B.S. will be considered if they have at least 10 years of professional experience.
- Previous administrative and program coordination experience preferred.
SALARY & CONDITIONS
- Full-time position
- Starting date: As soon as possible. Review of applications will start immediately.
- Duration of appointment: 1 year with possibility for renewal, contingent on performance and funding availability.
- Salary: $60,000 – $70,000 plus benefits, depending on experience and academic credentials.
Interested persons should send a pdf via email with the following documents combined:
- A letter of motivation
- Names of two professional references
- A writing sample
to: Dr. Pierre Losson, Associate Director of CUNY Dominican Studies Institute at email@example.com
For more information visit: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/dsi/programs-manager