CSA 43rd Annual Conference: Important Reminders
The conference is just a few days away. Here are some important tips to make your trip a carefree one:
- Please bring cash (US, CAN, EUR, GBP, and CUC) because you will not be able to use credit cards on site at the secretariat office to make payments.
- US credit cards will not be honored in Cuba.
- WiFi connectivity will be a challenge during the conference. Note that cards to access WiFi, while available, are not always reliable.
- We will be using an exchange rate of .87 CUC to 1USD.
- All those who have already bought tickets for the CSA banquet are asked to please visit the secretariat office on site before 12 NOON on Friday, June 8, to collect their tickets. After this time, all remaining tickets will be sold. The cost per ticket is USD45
- If you have not already booked your airport transfers, you may take a taxi at Havana airport to your destination. Kindly view this link for further details, http://havana.airportcuba.net/transportation.html
- Please note that the CSA Secretariat is not responsible for tour arrangements. If you have made such arrangements or you are interested in guided tours, kindly reach your tour organizers directly.
- To those presenters who have paid both their membership and registration and attendees who have registered as non-members, the registration desk will be open from 5 PM on Sunday, June 3rd, so that you may collect your conference packages
- Presenters are reminded to please walk with their laptops and all adaptors and other connectors. Other AV equipment will be provided. Presentations are typically 15 mins and translation services will be provided if needed
- For those who are arriving later in the week and would like to collect their conference material, the registration desk is open throughout the conference week from 8 AM
- All students are reminded that they must present a valid student ID in order to collect their conference packages.
- Meals are not included in the conference registration fee
- All travel grant recipients are kindly asked to visit the secretariat office on Monday, June 4th.
- All persons who are to collect refunds for payment errors made during registration are kindly asked to visit the secretariat office between Wednesday, June 6th and 12 noon on Friday, June 8th.
- Due to limited or no internet access in Cuba, you are strongly advised to raise all your concerns before getting to the conference. Please feel free to email the CSA Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call the office (1-868-748-2602; 8 AM – 4 PM, EST) before June 1st.
- Once on site, please reach us at the secretariat office if you need further assistance with conference matters. During the conference week (June 4-8), the secretariat office at the conference venue, Tryp Habana Libre, will be open from 8 AM – 5 PM (Monday and Tuesday) and 8 AM – 4 PM (Wednesday to Friday).
- The Program Chair, Gabriela Ramos, and the CSA President, Yolanda Wood, will be available on site (nearby or at the secretariat office) during the conference week to assist with all queries concerning the program and other conference matters that may arise.
- To presenters who need a certificate of participation as a requirement of their universities, please visit the secretariat office after completing your presentation.
- Please travel with copies of your conference payment receipts and, if you are a presenter, your acceptance letter. Passport control officials may request these supporting documents at the airport.
- If you are presenting and require hard copies of your presentation, you are reminded to print your presentation (full paper, notes, and PowerPoint slides) before getting to Cuba. The secretariat office will not be providing printing services to conference delegates.
- As a side note, persons who might be traveling to Haiti and would like to buy Haitian currency, please visit the secretariat office. The selling rate is 62 Gourdes to 1 US.
From the 2018 Conference Organizing Team, we wish you an enjoyable and productive CSA 2018 conference! See you in Havana, Safe travels!