Department of History, Faculty of Arts and Sciences – Université de Montréal
The Department of History invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Caribbean History. All historical periods and themes will be given equal consideration.
The appointed candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Caribbean history, supervise graduate students, to be active in research, publishing, and sharing knowledge on subjects related to the history of the Caribbean, contribute to academic service and the mission of the University, including participating in relations between the Department of History and the communities it serves.
- PhD in History or a related discipline (by start of contract);
- Record of research production in the history of the Caribbean;
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective university teaching;
- An adequate knowledge of written and spoken French or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance with Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
The application file sent to the Department Chair should contain the following documents:
- A cover letter; to adhere to Government of Canada guidelines, cover letters must include one of the following statements: “I am a citizen/ permanent resident of Canada” or “I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada”;
- A curriculum vitæ;
- Copies of recent publications or research papers;
- A statement of teaching philosophy (maximum one page);
- A research agenda (maximum one page);
- The names and email addresses of three referees who may be contacted after initial screening.
Applications must be sent by email no later than November 6th, 2023 to:
Professor Ollivier Hubert, Interim Chair
Department of History
Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Université de Montréal
Phone: 514 343-6111, extension 41339
Email : email@example.com
Website : https://histoire.umontreal.ca/accueil/
Additional information about the position
- Reference number: FAS 09-23 / 17
- Application deadline: Until November 6th 2023 inclusively
- Salary: Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits
- Starting date: As of June 1st, 2024
Diversity and Inclusion
Université de Montréal is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion. Through its Equal Access Employment Program (EAEP), UdeM invites applications from women, Aboriginal people, visible and ethnic minorities, as well as persons with disabilities. We will –confidentially – adapt our recruitment mechanisms to the specific needs of people with disabilities who request it.
UdeM embraces a broad and inclusive definition of diversity that goes beyond applicable laws, and therefore encourages all qualified individuals to apply, regardless of their characteristics. However, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents.
In order to measure the impact of its equity, diversity and inclusion actions, UdeM is collecting data on applicants identifying themselves with one of the groups targeted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, namely women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities and people with limitations. To this end, we thank you for completing this self-identification questionnaire. The information you provide through this form is strictly confidential and will be shared only with those responsible for the UdeM EAEP. If you wish, you may also indicate that you belong to one of the targeted groups in your cover letter, which will be reviewed by the selection committee and the assembly of peers.
Université de Montréal’s application process allows all members of the Professor’s Assembly to review the application files submitted. If you wish to keep your application confidential until the shortlist is established, please mention it in your application.